Before joining Hoover Penrod, Dathan represented individuals of modest means—focusing on the rights of tenants, debtors, and consumers—for over a decade at Blue Ridge Legal Services. He was the supervising attorney at the Harrisonburg office from 2015-2019. During his tenure at BRLS, he received a LASSY (statewide legal aid service award) and was nominated for the Virginia State Bar’s 2018 Legal Aid Award. Before BRLS, he clerked for the Honorable David F. Pugh of the 7th Judicial Circuit of Virginia in Newport News.
Dathan’s litigation experience includes:
- Consumer protection: Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), deceptive business practices, lender fraud and abuse, auto fraud, debtor defense, credit reporting
- Bankruptcy (primarily chapters 7 & 13; also representation in adversary proceedings)
- Divorce and separation issues (including Collaborative Practice)
- Fair housing, landlord-tenant, manufactured home parks, subsidized (“public”) housing
- Civil litigation in Virginia’s state and federal courts