John Crist is a native of Broadway, Virginia. He has been practicing law in Harrisonburg for more than 35 years.
Virginia Tech (BS-1971); Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William and Mary (JD-1976).
Law Practice Experience
John began his practice with the firm of Moore, Jackson, Graves and Ralston. He has been at Hoover Penrod since 1994. He maintains a broad based practice with an emphasis on real estate, general business, and estate administration. John’s real estate practice includes the simplest residential closings and complex commercial transactions. John has helped form and counsels numerous local corporations, limited liability companies and other business entities. He has also been involved in every aspect of estate administration, ranging from the representation of fiduciaries to serving as fiduciary.
John was Assistant Commissioner of Accounts for Harrisonburg/Rockingham County from 2000-2012. In recognition of his experience in this area, the Judges of the 26th Circuit appointed John to serve as Commissioner of Accounts beginning in 2013. In this office John is charged with the supervision of fiduciaries of estates and trusts who appear before him in the completion of their assigned duties.
John is also a member of the Board of Directors of F&M Bank Corp. and Farmers and Merchants Bank, a local community bank which the firm has represented for many decades. In addition John is Chair of the Board of VBS Mortgage, LLC, a local mortgage lender. John served on the initial local advisory board of First Citizens Bank and Trust Company.
Professional and Community Associations
- Member Virginia State Bar and the Real Estate, General Practice and Trusts Sections of the State Bar
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Bar Association (Secretary/Treasurer (1985-1986) and President (1990-1991)
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Broadway Community Little League (2000-2003)
- Chair of the Industrial Development Authority for the Town of Broadway (2002-2010; 2012-present)
- Member of Sunset Drive United Methodist Church, where he currently serves as a trustee
John is married to the former Patricia Fulk. He has two daughters, one of whom is living in New York City and the other is studying law, and two step-sons. He is an avid Broadway High School and Virginia Tech sports fan.